Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at Mid Essex ITT
Mid Essex ITT is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) in teacher training and celebrates a diverse and inclusive workforce. We aim to create a safe space for all trainee teachers and strive to educate ourselves to get a better awareness of the nine protected characteristics.
Here are some of the positive steps that Mid Essex ITT have taken as part of our commitment to EDI in teacher training:
- In 2021, central staff completed training in inclusive recruitment run by Ignition Law
- In May 2022, central staff took part in a three-part course in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) - a Masterclass run by Diverse Educators
- In November 2022, all trainees are to attend a Diverse Educators Conference
- In 2020, training was provided for trainee teacher and staff from The Black Curriculum
- Since 2020, Mid Essex ITT has been working with Now Teach, to encourage talented, experienced career changers to train as teachers
- In 2019, we introduced our new part-time course. So far, 15 trainees have trained on the part-time route whilst also balancing being a mum or dad
- Every year, our trainee teachers receive a training session on Equality and Diversity in the classroom
- In 2023, members of the Leadership Team completed Menopause Awareness training
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Objectives for 2023-2024
Objective 1 To ensure that all trainees are trained in equality, diversity and Inclusion (EDI) and attend the Diverse Educators Conference in January 2024.
Objective 2: To ensure that all trainees are trained in inclusivity including SEND, EAL, Disadvantaged, Looked after Children, more-able children.
Objective 3: To ensure that all trainees understand the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010 and know about prejudice-based bullying.
We encourage applications from under-represented groups and will make all reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process to address the barriers that these groups face. If you would like to discuss your requirements with a member of staff, please get in touch with our friendly team.
The Diverse Educators' website has an amazing directory here with further resources and sources of support. You can also download some of their resources below.