Am I eligible to train?
The minimum entry requirements are:
- a degree at classification 2:2 or above
- a standard equivalent to a GCSE grade C / grade 4 in Maths
- a standard equivalent to a GCSE grade C / grade 4 in English
- pass the Professional Skills Test for Numeracy
- pass the Professional Skills Test for Literacy
Professional Skills Test
All applicants to Initial Teacher Training need to pass both tests before starting their course. You can book your Professional Skills Tests here:
Safer recruitment of trainee teachers
- Mid Essex ITT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people.
- We implement safer recruitment procedures and all candidates will be required to have a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) criminal records check.
- Mid Essex ITT will also carry out a check of the children's barred list and prohibition from teaching list.
- Mid Essex ITT will also seek references from two professional individuals and ask each referee to state that he/she “knows of no reason why the applicant should not work with children or vulnerable adults."
- Following receipt of the UCAS application, candidates may be asked to complete a work history form, accounting for any gaps in employment or study.
- Applicants who have lived or worked overseas may be asked to apply for a certificate of good conduct in addition to their DBS check.